Some days are just designed to have the hardtop off your Jeep and hit the trail with a group of friends to enjoy the sunshine.
Or maybe you have a large load that you need to transport in the back.
Whatever the reason for taking the hardtop off, you can bet it is way too much of a struggle if you’re on your own.
That’s when having the best Jeep hardtop hoist comes in; just hook it up and either pull a rope or press a button and within seconds, the top will be off.
If your garage is low, lifting it just enough to pull the Jeep forward is easy.
Then you can either lower the top to the floor or, depending on which hoist you choose, you can hoist it higher and keep it suspended safely in the air until you want to reattach it.
Think of all that extra storage space!
Please take a look at our review of the best jeep wrangler hard top hoist; we hope to help you to make the most informed buying decision.
Table of content
Comparison Table of Best Jeep Hardtop Hoist
If you own a Jeep and are looking for an affordable and simple method to remove the hardtop, then consider this Harken hoist.
This works on a simple pulley system; attach 4-ropes at designated spots on the vehicle and pull the rope to raise the hardtop. Once it has been hoisted to the required height, tie the rope off and the top is safely suspended in the garage rafters.
The jeep can now be driven in and out of the garage with plenty of free floor-space.
- Suitable for 7803.Jeep models
- Needs 10 feet of ceiling height
- Load capacity of 145-pounds
- Double-braid rope
- Stainless steel components
Full instructions are supplied with the kit; the best part is the step-by-step guide which clearly states in which order the installation should happen.
You will need a few basic tools, drill, ratchet, screwdrivers, and stud finder, and the help of a friend would be advisable. Once the ceiling beam has been located, installation time is around 3-hours.
The pulley system is easy to control; it requires 1-person operation and no great strength. Lifting and lowering are easy regardless of how the weight is distributed around the ropes.
It is a simple design that works exceptionally well.
All of the hardware is made from stainless steel so it won’t rust and will be durable. Everything needed for installation is supplied; you just need the know-how and a few tools!
This is a very simple and affordable solution to removing and storing the hardtop from your Jeep.
- Affordable and effective
- Simple 1-person operation
- Safe, self-locking cleats if the rope should fail
- Pulley-system pre-rigged for ease
- All mounting hardware included
- Quality, hard-wearing kit
- Compatible with lifted Jeeps with oversized tires
- The garage must have solid, level beams
- Ratchet straps could be supplied for added security
This is a second manual hoist from the Harken range which is designed and operates in exactly the same way as the first. Its specifications differ as stated below.
- Manual hoist designed for hardtop removal and suspension
- Load capacity 200lbs
- Minimum load capacity 75lbs
- 12ft ceiling height required
- Stainless steel hardware for strength and durability
- Double-braided rope for added strength and security.
Storing your hardtop has never been easier. This hoist is easy to install and even easier to operate. It takes just 1 person and minimum effort to raise and lower the unit until it reaches the required height.
Manual hoists give you peace of mind that you can’t get from an electric one. There is no need to be concerned about a component malfunctioning and causing the whole system to be out of action.
If you’re worried that your hardtop might clatter to the floor if you accidentally loose the rope, don’t. There is a self-locking cleat that jumps into action for this very purpose.
It is also used for suspending the hardtop up in the rafters, ensuring there is plenty of free floor space to maneuver your Jeep around.
This is what makes it the best manual hoist for hardtop Jeeps.
- Specialized tool for hardtop removal
- Easy to install, 4-point hoist
- Simple to use, 1-person operation
- Self-locking cleats for safety
- Stainless steel construction for long service life
- Uneven weight distribution doesn’t affect usage
- Reliable and effective
- Ideal space-saving kit
- More expensive than other styles
- Manual operation only
- Only compatible with 12ft or less ceiling height
If you spend a lot of time in your garage or workshop then maybe this is the best electric hoist with remote control for you.
Not only is it very capable of lifting and holding the hardtop of a Jeep, but it will also come in useful for countless other heavy-duty lifting tasks. It may be small but it packs a punch and wouldn’t struggle to lift a small engine, transmission, or even logs and stumps.
- 2 hooks each with a load capacity of 220lbs, overall 440lbs
- Zinc-plated, anti-rotate, carbon-steel wire
- Stainless steel construction, including strong mounting clamp brackets
- 39-feet cable
- High-quality copper motor, economical with electricity and stay-cool technology
Installation requires 2-people, particularly if you’re going to be working at excessive height.
The instruction manual is clear, so, providing you have the correct tools and have found the ideal ceiling location, your hoist should be ready to use within a couple of hours.
This hoist comes with a very easy to operate remote control. It is a simple panel with a button for up and down. If 1 hook is attached, the hoist travels at 26-feet per minute, when both hooks are in use, 13-feet per minute are achievable. No effort is required to lift very heavy items, attach the hooks and press a button!
There is an in-built safety mechanism; the motor will automatically brake at the first sign of any issues. Also, the motor has stay-cool technology so even when it is being put under high-pressure you can rest assured that it will stay cool.
This hoist is a great piece of kit that every garage or workshop should have.
- Great value for money
- Multifunctional, lifts all irregular objects, not just hardtops
- Strong and durable construction
- Remote-control operation
- 440lbs lifting capacity
- Suitable for very high ceilings
- Small, quiet engine with heavy-duty capabilities
- Some assembly required
- The remote control cable should be longer
- Unit needs to be installed close to a power outlet
The Champion hoist is ideal for busy garages with lots of heavy-duty lifting demands.
It is a double-cable hoist which gives it a huge load capacity of 880lbs when both lines are in use.
The safety aspects are great. There is an automatic brake, a stop bracket, and a line blocker.
At the first sign of collision or the weight-limit breach, the motor will cease. This not only keeps the people and loads safe, but it also prevents any damage to the hoist and cable.
- 39-feet galvanized steel cable
- Load capacity 440lbs on a single line, 880lbs on a double
- Hoisting speeds of 38 fpm and 19 fpm depending on single or double line
- 850w electric motor with high-amount of torque
- Durable stainless steel construction
- Remote-control operation
This really is one of the best Jeep hardtop hoists as the sturdy hooks can lift and suspend the top for long periods.
When you want to replace the hardtop, simply attach both lines so that the system runs at half speed allowing you to realign it to perfection.
We love that Champion has such faith in their product that they’ve given it a 2-year limited warranty. Their tech experts are on hand to give you any advice; this is a service that remains free for the life of the product.
This is a great hoist for taking the hard work out of many heavy-duty lifting tasks. Everything is powered by the touch of a button; absolutely no hand-cranking is required.
- Powerful 850w motor
- Heavy-duty tethered remote-control panel
- 2-year limited warranty and free helpline
- Multi-use, lift many heavy, irregular objects
- 2-person easy installation
- Huge 880lbs load capacity
- Galvanized steel cables for strength and durability
- All mounting hardware supplied
- Control pad cable too short
- Sometimes machine jerks as it hoists
If you’re looking for a hoist to safely lift and secure the hardtop from your Jeep but have other heavy-lifting jobs to do, then look no further.
This electric hoist is capable of many various jobs including winching things into high loft space for storage and lifting and suspending large items in the rafters to free-up floor space in a garage.
- Dual-line system with 440lbs load capacity and 19-feet lift height
- Single line usage supplies 220lbs load capacity and 38-feet lift height.
- 3.38” steel wire cable for strength and reliability
- 110v motor
- Remote switch
- Sheaved pulley lift hook and weighted lift hook
This system is one of the easiest to mount the electric hoists we have reviewed. It is delivered fully assembled so there are no fiddly wires to contend with.
The remote panel has an emergency stop switch to ensure safe operation at all times, the motor will cut-out immediately and stop the process.
We love the multiple uses this hoist has. It can be rear-mounted, perhaps on a garage wall, and used to horizontally winch things, such as trailers, inside. Also, if you’re particularly skilled, you can mount the hoist on a fully-secured piece of steel tubing to allow it to slide back and forth as required.
The weight capacity of the hoist is easily sufficient to remove the hardtop from a Jeep. By attaching a strap to the hooks, it can keep it suspended high in the air, out of the way, until next required.
- Superb customer service
- Easy to mount, all hardware included
- Convenient control via a remote operating switch
- Emergency stop button
- Pulley-enabled, dual-line operation
- Thick steel wire cable for strength, durability, and reliability
- Built-in cable guide
- Remote lead too short if ceilings are very high
- Motor runs relatively noisily during operation
If you’re searching for the best overhead electric hoist then you should take this one into consideration.
It arrives with everything required for easy installation; the instruction manual is particularly concise with its step-by-step guide.
- Dual-line system provides 440lbs load capacity, single 220lbs
- Operates at speeds of 33ft/min and 16.5ft/min
- Double cable lift height is 19ft, 38ft with a single cable
- 460w motor
- All cable is heavy, galvanized steel
- Remote-control operation
It has a stop bracket that automatically shuts down if it senses the line blocker begins to move upwards.
There is also a load brake; this is locked into place once the hardtop has been lifted. This ensures that it stays securely suspended.
Most of the reviews of electric hoists have discussed the need for a longer lead for the control panel. If a hoist is installed on a 16ft ceiling and the lead is only 5ft long, then that usually means you will need to get a step ladder with each operation.
5 Oceans seem to have listened, and although the lead is only 5ft long, there is a 20ft replacement remote available to purchase.
This is a powerful and impressive tool that would be useful in all shops and farm buildings yet it is inexpensive enough for the home mechanic to install in a garage.
- Powerful motor with high torque
- Dual-line system
- Durable and strong galvanized steel cable
- 1-year warranty
- Suit busy workshop or garage
- Clear, hassle-free installation
- Stop bracket for safety
- No automatic stop button
- Remote lead short (20ft extension available separately)
This Partsam electric hoist is exceptionally powerful with a maximum load capacity of 1320lbs.
This makes light work of lifting yard tractors, snowmobiles, and ride-on mowers into the air to service.
- 1250w powerful motor
- Zinc-plated steel wire with anti-rotate technology
- Dual-line weight capacity 1320lbs, single 660lbs
- Lift height when double 19ft, single 38ft
- Speeds 33ft/min on a single wire, 15ft/min on double
The remote paddle couldn’t be easier to operate; 1 button to raise and lower the hoist, and a big red button for an emergency stop.
The same speed is achieved whether you are lifting or lower a load.
We have mentioned buying slings and straps to use in addition to a hoist to make lifting irregular loads, including Jeep hardtops, an easier and more secure task. Partsam hoists come equipped with 2 free ones, of different lengths.
That is any further expense spared.
This hoist is safe to be installed vertically or horizontally. This allows it to be securely fastened to a stud wall and used in the style of a winch to pull heavy loads.
It is capable of suspending heavy loads over some time. One user states that it is the perfect hoist to lift and support his micro-light aircraft in the eaves of his hangar!
- Exceptionally robust and powerful
- Suits horizontal or vertical operation
- 2 free sling straps supplied
- Good value for money
- Wire-rope zinc-galvanized for added strength
- Remote operation
- Emergency stop switch
- Not safe for outdoor use
- Short remote lead
- Stop button sticks (easy fix)
If you need an electric hoist with ultimate lifting power then this product from Happybuy could be the perfect product for you.
It has huge capabilities and is suited to large workshops, building equipment suppliers, and for agricultural use.
That being said, it is still able to lift the hardtop from a Jeep!
- Dual cable operation 2200lbs load capacity, single 1102lbs capacity
- Lift height 20ft single wire and 40ft when double
- The carbon-steel wire is virtually unbreakable
- Steel unit and mounting clamps for strength and durability
- Powerful pure-copper motor
Two hooks are supplied, both made from the most substantial premium alloy steel, ensuring utmost strength and hardness even under huge load pressures.
Remote operation from a safe distance is easy; the lead is 10ft long for added security. It features 2 buttons for direction and 1 larger red button for an emergency stop.
This has to be the motor. Made from pure-copper and covered in an aluminum housing, it is anti-corrosive, durable, and gives off little noise.
It is also energy efficient as it has very low electricity consumption.
Safety features highly in this product; there is a limit safety switch for when load capacities are almost reached.
Also, the user can rest assured that should there be a power outage, the load will remain in place, securely.
Capable of carrying the most punishing loads with simple 1-button operation, this is surely a contender for the best heavy-duty electric hoist.
- Powerful, pure copper motor
- No assembly required
- 10-ft-long remote lead
- Capable of heavy-duty lifting
- Runs relatively quietly
- Low energy consumption
- Premium alloy steel ensures long service-life durability
- Useable from a safe distance
- Large emergency stop button
- Probably too powerful to use for hardtop lifting alone
- Indoor use only
This is the second 5 Oceans hoist that we have reviewed, it is designed and works in exactly the same way, and it just has different loads capacity and specifications.
- 1000w powerful motor
- Pulley supplied for dual cable operation
- The double line has 1100lbs load capacity and 19ft lift height
- The single line has 550lbs load capacity and 39ft lift height
- Safe remote operation
This is a great overhead hoist that will not only lift and suspend your hardtop; it will do many other tasks that usually are a struggle.
Pressing 1 button can lift a small engine or transmission to the required height and once work is complete, it can be slowly lowered back into position.
Safety comes first with this hoist. There is a line blocker on the cable which causes the motor to automatically stop should the stop bracket rise. This stops the wire cable from retracting back onto the spool and prevents damage to the hoist unit and the cable.
Everything is included to mount the hoist securely and it is designed to be strong and durable enough to last for years.
- 1-year warranty
- 1000w engine supplies lots of power and torque
- Dual-line system
- Strong pulley hook supplied
- All mounting hardware provided, including hang mounting brackets
- Optional extra 20ft remote cable
- Only for overhead installation
- Remote cable short, 20ft extension available at a further cost
- Slightly more expensive than similar models
If you’re looking for the best fully automatic hoist to not only lift your Jeep hardtop but also perform many more heavy-duty tasks, then read on.
This has all of the same impressive design features as the previously Goplus hoist whilst having a load capacity of 1320lbs.
- 39ft of carbon steel wire
- Powerful pure copper motor
- 1320lbs lifting capacity dual, or 660 single line
- Lift height 39ft single, 20ft double
- Speed 26ft/min single, 13ft/min double
All of the hardware, the shell, and the mounting clamps and brackets are all made of strong and durable stainless steel. Once it has been installed you can forget about it as it will remain durable and rust-resistant for years.
This powerful hoist may be a little excessive if the only reason you’re looking to buy it is to help lift the hardtop from your Jeep. If you have other serious, heavy-duty tasks to perform then this is the ideal tool.
Lifting a ride-on mower to clean and sharpen blades is a breeze for this tool. Large engines can be raised and suspended allowing the user to work on them with ease.
This is a strong, multi-use hoist with a remote-control panel. It has plenty of safety features and will lift the most awkward, heavy, and irregular loads.
- Extremely strong and powerful copper motor
- 1320lbs weight capacity
- Dual and single cable function
- Fully automatic, no hand-cranking required
- Safety braking system in-built
- Thermal protection device
- Great value for money
- Too excessive for just hardtop lifting tasks
- Short remote lead
- Instruction manual could be clearer
What is A Hoist?
It is simply a tool that assists with the lifting of something awkward or heavy.
Our review includes 2 different styles of hoists.
This style of hoist usually relies on a pulley system.
First, the main unit is securely bolted to a strong beam.
The strong, metal cable is fed around a wheel that has a groove in its edge. Attach a hook to the hardtop and pull the cable from the other end to raise it. By using 2 cables in a dual-system you will reduce the amount of force needed to lift a load, it also doubles the weight that can be lifted.
There will be a locking system that will hold the wire and its load securely in place until it is next needed.
These systems are often less expensive and easier to install.
This system requires almost no manpower once it has been installed.
In much the same way as the manual hoist, the unit should be secured and the hooks attached to the hardtop. But this time, instead of pulling, the user will just have to press a button, usually found on a remote panel, to raise and lower the load.
A powerful motor with strong gears will employ high amounts of torque to lift heavy loads. Using an electric hoist is much faster than a manual one.
All electrical hoists have some kind of safety system installed to prevent problems arising from malfunction.
Having a hoist installed for helping remove the hardtop can sometimes be a blessing, particularly if you have an engine to lift or a heavy load to remove from the trunk.
Choosing the perfect hoist to suit your requirements can be a tricky task.
Here are a few handy hints to help you discover the best hoist for a garage.
- Electrically powered or manual. This is the first decision, deciding how much effort you’re willing to use to lift the hardtop.
- Ease of installation. Some hoists require 2 people to fit and some level of competence. Also, the time taken to install them varies and you may need some specialized tools.
- Load capacity. In our review, you will find maximum weights that each hoist can support.
- Safety features. When heavy weights are going to be suspended safety must be a priority. Ensure your machine of choice has a smart braking or locking system that prevents accidents.
- System. Although a hoist will perform many lifting tasks, if the main reason for installation is to remove the hardtop of a Jeep then make sure it is compatible with your model.
- Ceiling height. Ensure that the hoist you choose is compatible with the height of your ceiling, whether it is high or low. Also, you will need to have a solid joist to securely bolt the unit to.
- Cost. There is a large variation of prices between the products in our review of thebest electric and manual hoists. The most expensive isn’t always the best, likewise for the least expensive.
Also read: Best High Lift Jack Reviews (Off Road Jacks)
Do I need other equipment when lifting the hardtop from my Jeep?
The hoist will do all of the hard work but by adding an inexpensive sling or set of straps you will have added security, particularly if you will be leaving it suspended.
They are also useful to prevent scratches and marks to any paintwork that metal hooks might cause.
What is the difference between a single and a double line?
The lift cable is hooked directly onto the load when the hoist is spooled.
This halves the weight capacity but doubles the speed and lift height.
Hooks onto the winch housing and the pulley which rides on the cable is used to lift the load.
It doubles weight capacity but halves the speed and lift height.
Can I install a hoist directly onto a ceiling?
Yes, but we always recommend you use a stud finder to find the most secure ceiling beam.
Using wooden battens is good for manual hoists.
Getting the most from your electric hoist would mean you should slide the mounting hanging clamps onto a steel tube which is then bolted to the ceiling beams.
This will enable you to slide the hoist back and forth when performing different actions.
Also read:Best Automotive Oscilloscope Reviews
Can I install a hoist alone?
That depends on which hoist you choose and how proficient your DIY skills are.
We would suggest that it is always safer for 2 people to fit a hoist, particularly as there will be ladder-climbing involved.
Anyhow, many hands make light work, don’t they?
Also read:[Top 10] Best Lockers for Jeep JK
We have reviewed many different styles of hoists, some manual and some electric. We hope that you have found enough information to help with your buying decision.
Owning a Jeep with a hardtop and having to wait until someone is around to help you struggle to remove the top is no fun.
Investing in the best jeep wrangler hard top hoist will ensure that you can hit the road with the wind blowing in your hair, even if you’re home alone!
Last update on 2021-08-05 at 22:47 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API