Even the newest and most powerful 6.7 Cummins engines can be fine-tuned and recalibrated until they run at their most efficient and powerful. This can be done by a professional, at a cost.
Buying a tuner for home use can not only save you garage expenses, but it will also make your truck run more economically than ever before, while still gaining torque and power.
Take a look through our Best Diesel Tuner for 6.7 Cummins review to find out exactly which tool suits your needs and to make the most informed buying decision.
Best Diesel Tuner for 6.7 Cummins
Last update on 2021-09-26 at 21:55 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
1. Edge Products 85400 CTS2 – Best Programmer for 6.7 Cummins
If you regularly tow a vehicle and find your engine lacks enough horsepower and torque, then this is suited to you.
This tuner looks impressive with its sleek design and large LCD touch screen. Installation is very simple and takes a matter of minutes, plug it into the OBD port and away you go.
This tool is capable of many things; it can diagnose trouble codes from the engine warning light, it can record 20 minutes of live engine data, and run many performance tests to file and compare at a later date.
The main screen is clear and simple with up to 9 parameters being displayed at any 1 time. These include mpg and mph, engine coolant, and transmission fluid temperature, and battery voltage.
The menu screen has dozens of parameters to learn and set. Our favorite is the Mileage Coach. This tracks your miles per gallon and over time teaches you the correct settings and driving patterns to achieve maximum fuel efficiency.
It can tune and monitor shift points, firmness, fuel pressure, and has full torque management, along with a myriad of other tasks.
There are 4 pre-programmed performance settings;
- Transmission Only. Enables the regular transmission settings to perform at their best, possibly extending the transmission’s service life.
- Towing. Gives your truck instant power right when you need it most.
- Performance. When you need that extra boost of torque and power, hit this setting and know that the handling and driveability of your vehicle will not be affected.
- Extreme. An adjustment in the fuel injectors will give the vehicle its highest possible performance.
This is an excellent tuner that maximizes performance and lengthens the life of an engine, a must-have for any 6.7 Cummins owner.
- Multi-function, tuner, diagnostic, gauge, and monitor
- Full-color, high-resolution touch screen
- 9 readings displayed as you drive
- Well-suited to towing improvements
- Supplied with mounting attachment
- Full PDF instructions available on the website
- Live engine data recordable
- No oil pressure gauge option
- Won’t reprogram your PCM if you have EGT or PDF deletes
- The back-up camera only available as an add-on
2. Superchips 3845 Flashpaq F5 Tuner – Best Cummins Tuner
If you’re looking to improve the horsepower of your truck, maybe increase the torque and get better fuel efficiency without spending the earth, take a look.
This device looks different from all of our previous reviews as it is handheld and all of the information is displayed on a smaller screen.
Instead of a touch screen, there is a dial with 5 buttons that are very simple to operate.
Installation is just the matter of plugging the cable into the OBD2 port and waiting for the tool to load and save your stock settings. This is particularly useful if for some reason you ever want to restore factory settings.
The screen walks you through each step, offering you a particular tune or performance enhancer that you need to either click yes to accept or no to decline.
Within a few minutes of unpackaging your Cummins tuner, you could be getting increased mpg from your truck. By activating the mileage save tune the ECU immediately begins work on adjusting parameters to save your fuel.
Scrolling from one option to the next is quick and simple, custom tuning each parameter to your personalized style takes moments.
Up to 150 hp is achievable, driveability and reliability can be improved, and unnecessary downshifting is eliminated.
- 2-year warranty
- 15-30 minute initial installation, no tools required
- Simple to follow the direction
- Increases power and torque in moments
- Economical fuel efficiency tune
- Many preloaded tunes and power levels
- Firm upshift points
- Adjust fuel/air mixture
- Read and clear trouble codes
- Windows-compatible computer needed for updates
- Not touch screen
- No real-time or on the fly adjustments available
3. Bully Dog 40420 – Best Tuner for 2016 6.7 Cummins
This is more than just a diesel Cummins tuner; Bully Dog has designed a tool with 4 preloaded features.
- Engine Tuner – 10 tunes to choose from, each help to personalize your exact power needs
- Monitor – 15 performance parameters are displayed clearly on the screen. From here you can keep updated on all of the engine’s necessary data.
- Gauge – allows the user to read and replace any of the A-Pilar gauges
- Diagnostic – Read and clear any engine trouble codes, including abs lights.
The monitor itself is small enough to be mounted on the dash or window without causing distraction, while the LCD screen is clear enough to read every detail. It is even supplied with a mount.
The operation is simple; you are guided through each process. Some of the operations can even be performed as you’re on the go.
What to expect
GT device, OBD2 adaptor plug, windshield mount, and Quick Start-Up Guide. SD card and card reader, mini USB cable, fuse tap, and spade.
You may think that your 6.7 Cummins already has huge power potential, but try installing this tool and you will notice the difference. Much greater pull when towing increased power and best of all, most users notice an improvement of at least 3 extra miles to the gallon, round town, and over distance.
- 4 features in 1 robust tool
- Noticeable fuel savings
- Improved torque
- Enough power settings to suit your personal needs
- 4 simple power settings, none – extreme
- Excellent Customer Support
- Everything included for plug and play
- Code reading and clearing capabilities
- Doesn’t clear DPF or EGR settings on a 6.7 Cummins
- Only Quick Start Guide supplied, full instructions downloadable
- User must verify receipt with tech before beginning installation
This Edge Products 84030 Insight CS2 is indeed a stop shop computerized monitor that gives you the information you want to keep track of your engine’s symptoms.
This Insight CS2 provides a high engine monitoring solution currently on the market, with unparalleled control and aesthetics.
This same Insight CS2 has plenty of amazing attributes and functionality of its forerunner, the CS, plus a new, streamlined design as well as a trimming-edge, high-resolution display. Every OBDII-enabled automobile from 1996 onwards is interoperable with this same Insight CS2.
- On-the-Fly Tuning of EFILive Customized PCMS
- Through hardwire and serial, there are a variety of options.
- Assuming your Insight is configured to accept the serial connection, you can alter EFILive settings on the fly using the ascending and descending arrow buttons.
- Its data logging tool provides a complete and precise image of your vehicle’s state, including temperatures, levels, and speed, among other things!
- At any given time, you can save up to ten different logs
- The revolutionary MyStyle Software allows you to see and analyze logs from your PC
- In terms of functionality, monitoring, and upkeep, its Edge Insight easily outperforms any conventional gauge instrument or even other virtual monitors
- By connecting the Insight onto its 12V propulsion system using the EAS 12V Voltage Regulation Kit, you may deploy it upon pre-OBDII automobiles!
- You can’t operate with if you’re limited in-car knowledge
- Might be expensive to some, but not all!
- Electronic starting: Can be noisy!
- Fitted products are sometimes very thin
5. 84030 Edge Insight – CS2 – Best Tuner for 2015 6.7 Cummins
The device can be programmed to show gauges for anything from boost pressure readings of your car engine or speedometer data on a bike ride up mountain peaks. This instantaneously replaces bulky analog models that would cost hundreds of dollars and take hours to install with ease!
In addition to monitoring vehicle performance, its Insight may be intelligently programmed to deliver auditory and visual signals to assist you to secure your car.
- Runs like 0-60 mph as well as Quarter miles are used to monitor and analyze the performance
- Different color mixer besides gauge arcs, syringes, and backdrops.
- Numerous transition on-the-fly version control parameters with EAS.
- Diverse gauge display layouts are available.
- Matches up OBDII automobiles from 1996 onwards, as well as pre-1996 Cars
- Regarding power as well as EAS accessory connectivity it uses an HDMI type of plugging which is convenient for use.
- Menu navigating is simple with one touch.
- Can require 5-10 minutes of installing if you’re still new
- Can’t target stationary vehicles like infantry
- Back up camera is prone to harsh environments
What is a Diesel Tuner?
Often called programmers or chips, a diesel tuner is a small electronic device that plugs into a vehicle’s OBD2 (On-Board Diagnostic) port to allow the user to recalibrate the engine’s computer.
Adjustments can be made to factory settings resulting in increased torque, improved power, and therefore, greater fuel efficiency. They are simple to install easy to operate and can make a marked improvement in the performance of your vehicle.
Some tuners are simple programmers, whilst others are multi-functional and perform other tasks including diagnostics and correction. Most have large screens that, once plugged into the vehicle’s OBD2 port, sit in the cab and feed live data of the engine’s performance.
The user can use this data to enhance or reduce the power levels and torque going to the engine. Our product reviews will outline each machine’s capabilities.
What is a 6.7 Cummins?
It is an engine and a big and powerful engine at that. The 6.7 refers to the size, 6.7 liters.
Found on RAM 2500 and 3500 pickup trucks, they produce 400 hp of raw power, and that’s before any fine-tuning to the engine.
- Power – 370 – 400 hp
- Torque – 850 – 1000 pounds per foot
- CGI Block – Compacted Graphite Iron block that increases cylinder pressure whilst reducing the overall weight.
- Turbocharged – With heavy-duty bearings that pump 33 psi (pounds per square inch) of fresh air into the engine.
- Crankshaft – Made from the highest strength yet alloy, supplying increased power.
Also read: [TOP 10] Best Jeep Hardtop Hoist Reviews
Cummins is a 100-year old company that has been creating powerful engines for almost 30-years. They began with an impressive 5.9L and have since moved on to the 6.7L.
It has a 31,000-lbs capacity which makes it perfect for towing.
It is fitted with a 6-speed Aisin auto-transmission is economical on fuel.
Designed to need an oil change just once every 15,000 miles, it is a powerful beast on which its owners can rely.
Also read: Best High Lift Jack Reviews (Off Road Jacks)
What is a DPF?
DPF, Diesel Particulate Filter is found in a vehicle’s exhaust system and does exactly what you’d think. It filters out particles to prevent damage to the engine.
These particles are mainly made up of soot and once filtered they store in a compartment until it’s full. The vehicle will then run a regeneration cycle and use fuel to burn it off. As you can imagine, it is during this cycle that fuel economy decreases.
Clogged DPF’s occur when the regeneration cycle fails or there is so much soot being produced that the filter simply cannot handle it. When this happens the vehicle will need a deep clean. Not only is this expensive, but it can also leave the vehicle off the road for days.
Also read: Best Automotive Oscilloscope Reviews
Using a tuner can remove the DPF and reprogram the vehicle’s onboard computer to work without it. This is usually done by users wanting to off-road and races their trucks.
The exhaust itself replaces the actual filter and the tuner disables the regeneration mode whilst preventing other trouble codes from happening.
Without the DPF the user will notice an increase in both power and fuel efficiency. Often a very large increase! The vehicle could also have a greater life expectancy, months, if not years longer.
Also read: 10 Best Ball Joints for Jeep JK Review
There are many abbreviations used when discussing engine tuners and deprogrammers, here are a few of them and their definitions.
HP: Horse Power, a unit of measurement or power. In vehicles, it means speed, do you want to go faster? Add more hp.
Torque: Turning power, measured in feet and inches. Greater torque adds greater power to accelerate.
Psi: It is a way of measuring pressure and stands for Pound(force) per square inch.
PID: Proportional Integral Derivative. It is a mechanism to achieve feedback and monitor results from a vehicle’s engine.
CPU: Central Processing Unit. It is the chip in the heart of the onboard computer that allows basic instructions to be carried out.
BHP: Brake Horsepower is the measure of engine horsepower before any loss in power occurs from the gearbox, alternator, or other auxiliary components.
ECM Update: Engine control Module that ensures your vehicle operates at optimal performance levels. It monitors and regulates the fuel mixture and the emission system.
TPMS: Tire Pressure Monitoring System allows the user to always be aware of real-time tire-pressure information
VGT: Variable-geometry Turbochargers are designed to allow the ratio to change as conditions do.
Rail Pressure: is another name for fuel pressure. A sensor, which is part of the vehicle’s fuel system, is used to monitor this pressure at the fuel rail.
Will Tuner Work On Multiple Trucks?
It depends on the size of your truck. If you’re looking to do a smaller truck, it will work perfectly fine. However, if you want to tow big loads around, I recommend getting a bigger one like this: 84030 Edge Insight is one of my favorite options to get the cost down and to get a more ergonomic stand. The Edge Products 84030 Edge Insight Review is one of the most powerful products for your cameras out there. On top of having the best power, it also has a built-in Wi-Fi that allows you to monitor your truck live from your phone, as well as monitor your brakes and other key car conditions with the free Edge Surgical App.
Do Diesel Tuners Increase Miles Per Gallon?
Tuners for cars may increase the horsepower of an engine and therefore affect gas mileage, although how much is largely dependent on your driving habits. Tuners can provide you with increased engine output which may lead to an increase in fuel efficiency. You’ll need more gas if your car is not tuned well, but there are also some potential benefits like better acceleration and quicker pick-up time. They improve fuel economy by two-four miles per gallon and increase the horsepower by about 140 hp.
A tuner will enable you to extract the most out of what’s possible from your vehicle without breaking it down or causing emission problems. They’re different for every type of make/model so be sure that whatever product you use has been approved by the manufacturer before installing on vehicles because they all have specific tolerances that cannot exceed certain levels otherwise damage could occur during performance tuning operations leading up to emissions failure.
Do Diesel Tuners Improve Acceleration and Speed?
Fuel efficiency and performance can be increased with a programmer for diesel engines users. Programmers extract this power by adjusting the operating conditions of an engine to suit what they want it to do, making sure that fuel is being used most efficiently at all times. Diesel truck owners also can get more power out of their engines by installing a programmer. Increasing the performance is as simple as adjusting how your engine runs at different speeds to extract that extra horsepower and torque, Bully Dog Technologies says. You may also opt for adding a valve lift right before you reach maximum RPMs to maximize top-end speed – but hey, it’s up to you!
5.9 Or 6.7 Cummins: which is better?
The 6.7L Cummins engine came about during a time of increased efficiency and stricter emissions regulations, but it also delivered an increase in power alongside these changes. The ENGINE jumped from 5.9 to 6.7 with all-new architecture that’s more advanced than ever before; now we have better performance as well!
The jump from 5.9L to the 6.7L Cummins came with a host of new features that helped it maintain its standing as one of the most reliable diesel engines on the market, but there were significant changes in power output and emissions measurements too!
What do customers say?
The after-performance is just as important for a truck engine if not more so. The Cummins Rams 6.7L has lots of room to grow in this area, with a torque output that can go well over 1000lbs per foot! For anyone looking to push their engine past its limits to achieve big horsepower numbers or just need increased low-end grunt a layout of 6.7L Cummins provides all that while retaining an easy starting characteristic make it perfect for any driver’s needs!
The 6.7L diesel trucks have a few more issues than their counterparts in the gas world, at least when it comes to emissions components and head gaskets. The need for higher pressure thanks to variable turbos means that these engines are prone to early failures as well- not something you want with your truck!
Benefits of Tuning Your Vehicle
Chip tuning has been around for decades and is still a popular modification to make your car more powerful. With factory software settings, the ECU takes care of all sorts of tasks like making sure that fuel/air ratios are within bounds as you drive under different conditions. That means there’s some power left on the table when it comes out from the factory! Chip tuning can change those conservative settings inside so you get extra power in both low and high rev ranges by changing how much air enters into each combustion cycle or tweaking timing decisions throughout engine operation.
Installing Them Is a Breeze
The simplicity of installation contributes significantly to the cost. Without requiring disassembling the ECU, generic diagnostic terminals make it simple to connect modern engine chips as well as chip control units onto the current system.
- Improved engine responsiveness over the whole power range.
- Power delivery is finer, as well as the ride is cleaner altogether.
- A more reactive and powerful engine for whenever you require it the most, such as while overtaking.
What Is the Process of Using a Diesel Tuner?
Have you been left feeling drained after every drive? Do your eyes water out of the corner, as they sting from exhaust fumes? Diesel tuning boxes are the answer! A diesel tune-up will help increase efficiency and performance in any vehicle. This is achieved by increasing fuel pressure to an engine while also decreasing speed limits for cars less than 3-5000 pounds so it allows a car’s computer system to lean off other safety features such as airbags or ABS brakes when needed. By installing this upgrade on your truck, jeep, or SUV today – you can experience better gas mileage and lower emissions with minimal effort!
Diesel tuning boxes are designed to increase the amount of fuel injected into an engine. Most diesel tuners do this by increasing the pressure in your car’s ECU, which tricks it into believing that there is not enough fuel present when there is more than needed for maximum performance and efficiency.
Will this tuner fit my vehicle?
Easily the most often asked question! Each tuner will benefit several different engines in many different vehicles.
To make sure that the tuner you choose is compatible with your truck, follow the link to a dropdown menu. Enter a few details and the answer will appear. Failing that, the company’s website will be able to advise you.
What is an EGT probe?
It is a sensor that is used to monitor and measure the Exhaust Gas Temperature. It doesn’t need an electricity supply as it relies on a thermo-coupler for its power.
They take around 30-minutes to fit into the exhaust system and when paired with a tuner, give you live readouts of exhaust temperatures and emissions. Tuners are rarely supplied with an EGT probe but they are available as an add-on.
Which is the best tuner for 6.7 Cummins dpf delete?
Not all tuners are capable of performing this action, check before you purchase. Few diesel tuners will make any adjustments to the emissions system. Race tuners are more suited to this purpose. We suggest that the Edge Products 85400 CTS2 might be what you’re looking for.
How can I improve my diesel engine’s performance?
- Keep on top of it and replace and upgrade any failing components regularly.
- Use the best quality diesel at all times.
- Use a programmer to tweak and fine-tune all of the settings to personalize your truck and to boost it to its optimum capabilities.
What is the difference between an engine tuner and a programmer?
They are the same thing, just with different names. You might occasionally hear them called an “engine chip” too.
How much horsepower does a tuned 6.7 Cummins have?
Powerful new Cummins engines for trucks are now available! The ISB 6.7 is a 350 horsepower, 650 lb-ft of torque model that will provide excellent fuel economy and emissions with its advanced features like turbocharging to enhance efficiency in the field while also providing more power when needed at 420 bhp on demand (when conditions allow).
What exactly do I need a tuner for anyway?
In the case that your spark plugs wear out, a tuneup kit can be helpful to replace them. After thousands of miles on the road, parts usually start wearing off and you might find yourself in need of repair or replacement sooner than later. With this comprehensive set of tools handy at all times – including spare spark plug caps just in case!-you’ll never have to worry about being stranded again when your next backcountry adventure goes wrong somewhere between now and then.
How do tuners help with fuel economy?
Performance chips offer a lot of benefits, but for the sake of this article, we’ll focus on horsepower. Chips can increase your vehicle’s performance by providing better fuel economy and more torque to tow heavy loads. In addition, they allow you to choose between multiple tunes at any time which is perfect if you want one tune with higher hp or another that has improved throttle response when hauling something big!
A finer exhaust construction or a lesser restrictive inflow all permit your engine to circulate more freely, increasing combustion temperature and hence improving economy.
If you have already invested in a pickup with a Cummins engine then you will already know that you have a beast beneath the hood. They are bigger and more powerful than any of the previous engines Cummins have designed, and have good towing capabilities.
By reading our diesel tuner for 6.7 Cummins review, you have hopefully decided to make your truck even MORE powerful, MORE fuel-efficient, and with SUPERB towing capabilities.